Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Look What Else DH Bought Me..

A couple of days after Christmas, DH approached me and asked if I had received a book from him.  I replied that I had not. Oh.

This conversation came about because I mentioned that I wanted to go to Honeyville Grains, this past Saturday.  They were doing a food tasting and I was anxious to sample some of their freeze dried items.  DH said he too would like to go.  That is what triggered the book question and the search to figure out where he had put the book.

I had the book on left on my Christmas list. When I actually came into possession of the book, I was amazed at the simplicity of the idea.  It was one of those, why didn't I think of that moments.  The book is really a recipe book with several options for a main dish or dessert in a canning jar.  You have all your ingredients layered in the jar and then place an oxygen absorber packet on top and seal the jar.  By doing this, you are opening your #10 cans and using the ingredients instead of storing just one ingredient.  Since this book is from  Honeyville Grains, the majority of ingredients used are purchased through them.  But if you already have many of the ingredients on hand,  you may just need to purchase a few additional items to round out the recipes. 

How great is that, that you can have actual meals on hand, that you just add water to and cook?  Brilliant.  Many of the main dishes are made with freeze dried meats.  I ended up purchasing smaller pantry size cans of those items. I was impressed with the flavor of the freeze dried products.  I will be trying out some of these recipes in the future and coming up with some of my own.  I'll keep you posted on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10