Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Re-birth For Everything!!

Do you know that I love Thrift Store shopping?  I found this little nightstand one day.  I think I paid about $5.00 for it.  I didn't have a need or any plans for it.  I just liked it and it was very reasonable and I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it.  It ended up sitting in my garage for probably 8 months.  I call it, "living with it" till I get the inspiration of what to do with it.

One day I was sitting in my "Game Room" working on the computer, I turned around and looked at the little table that was on the side of my sofa and thought, "that's cute but nothing special.  What can I do with it?'  After a couple of minutes the "nightstand" popped in my head.  Who says a nightstand has to be by a bed?!

This is the results of those two events.



Notice the dried look of the wood.  It was dirty and scratched.
It was so dull but I thought it had such character.  I love it and I knew it could have a great 2nd life.



 Does this even look like the same wood?  I use a mixture of 3/4 C oil and 1/4 C vinegar.  (No, I am not making salad dressing.)  It can be any kind of vinegar, white or cider, and any kind of oil, olive, vegetable, canola.  You get the idea.  I put it in an empty water bottle so I can shake it up while I work on the project.  I use a clean old tea towel and wipe the furniture with the grain of the wood.  I turn my cloth as it gets dirty so I don't put the dirt back into the piece.  The vinegar cleans it and the oil brings it back to it's glory.  The wood is beautiful now!!  Note:  NOT ALL FURNITURE NEEDS TO BE REFINISHED!!!  Sometimes it just needs to be cleaned.  I didn't use any paint or stain on this!!  I promise!!!





GORGEOUS!!!!!




I collect cute knobs when ever I see them CHEAP!!!!  I generally don't pay more than $3 or $4 for one.  And I usually only buy one or two.  But if they're REALLY cheap and REALLY cute, I might buy 5 or 6!!  I very seldom use all the same knobs on a piece.  (Remember me saying I don't follow rules too well?)  I find knobs at Cost Plus World Market, Pier 1 Imports, Anthropologie, Jo-ann's, Thrift Stores, Home Depot... I'm always looking.  (I have a list longer than your kids Christmas lists of things I keep an eye out for)

Once I put it by the sofa and lived with it for a week, I felt it was still lacking something.  It just wasn't "done"!!  I decided to cover the open shelf on the bottom with "something", scrapbooking paper, fabric, contact paper, wallpaper...?  So I was off to Jo-ann's.  My "Game Room" is also my "Travel Room".  It's where all our "tchotchkes" and art and collectibles from our travels are.  So I used that as my inspiration for the fabric I chose.  I love this fabric.  The sales lady told me it is Ernest Hemingway inspired.  Perfect!!
The fabric was $14.99 a yard and I bought 2 yards.  I had a 50% off coupon so it cost me $14.99.  




I used craft glue stick and scrapbooking tape to attach the fabric to the wood.  I wanted as little damage to the wood as possible if I decide to remove it some day.  Also, there is a raw edge of the fabric along the front bottom, so I got a pack of leather cords at Jo-ann's and glued that across the front and up the hump , around the corner, over all the raw edges.  






 Here is the finished project in it's place of honor.  I am so happy and I just love it!!  So much cuter than the table that was there!!!   Stop by and see  it when you're in the neighborhood.



My summary of expenses:

nightstand                                                 5
oil, vinegar, tea towel and empty bottle    0
knobs (I'll guess)                                       7
fabric  (I have 1/2 yd left)                        12
leather strip (what I used from the pack)    1            

Total--------------------------------------------$25

Priceless to me!!!

P.S.  I had been looking for a nightstand for the side of my bed for almost a year!!  Wait till you see what I put there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10